How many hours can you work if on disability

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

How many hours are you allowed to work if on disability

Bryan

In reply to by Edith (not verified)

Thu, 02/23/2017 - 09:14 Permalink

Hi Edith,
There's no set limit for earnings, but the SSA will reduce your benefit one dollar for every two that you earn.

E (not verified)
Fri, 02/17/2017 - 18:52 Permalink

If i draw 733.00 a month and thats all my income and my house brakes me how much can i earn if im on ssi

Bryan

In reply to by E (not verified)

Mon, 02/20/2017 - 16:39 Permalink

Hi there,
I really could not say, but the SSA may reduce your income one dollar for every two that you earn.

Ragga (not verified)
Mon, 02/20/2017 - 23:21 Permalink

Hello,
If you are given a 1099 at the end of year and not a W2, how does SSDI determine if you are under the monthly allowable income limit for that year? I am blind.

Thanks

Bryan

In reply to by Ragga (not verified)

Thu, 02/23/2017 - 09:16 Permalink

Hi Ragga,
You would need to self-report your income to the SSA.

Mac (not verified)
Fri, 03/03/2017 - 05:55 Permalink

In that trial period..can you work as much as you want..and it dosent interfare with your s.s d.i...over the trial period

john N (not verified)
Tue, 03/07/2017 - 13:21 Permalink

I want to try and work again, part time. but im afraid ill lose my benefits?

Eric

In reply to by john N (not verified)

Tue, 03/07/2017 - 16:14 Permalink

Hi John,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2017 is $1,170 per month.
Best Wishes,
Eric

Jean (not verified)
Tue, 03/07/2017 - 17:39 Permalink

I have a client that is receiving SSD and SSI a college student who is eligible for work-study is there a staff person that can tell her how much she can earn under work-study and NOT be penalized or pay back any of her SSD or SSI benefits? The red book was very vague and not helpful. Thank you for any assistance you can give us or staff that can answer this for us.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 03/09/2017 - 10:57 Permalink

How much more money can you make if you draw ssdi

Thomas (not verified)
Sun, 03/12/2017 - 14:15 Permalink

I just got disability but I am working self-employed as a lift driver so how does my income being determined I am making about $50 to 150 a week but with expenses less. Is there a time limit on how long months or years if you're working couple hours a day if that that take you off or take me off disability

mh (not verified)
Thu, 03/16/2017 - 10:34 Permalink

A person has been on ssdi for over 17 yrs. Was a factory worker for 20 yrs. Disabled due to obesity and Lyme disease. Church wants to have him as interim temporary pastor where salary would be $600 per month working approximately 8-10 hrs per week. Still has original health issues plus now a cardiac patient. Would this affect his benefits. We are no longer able to pay our health insurance, bills and mortgage payments. Could he lose his benefits? This type of work doesn't have any connection to why he couldn't work at his previous vocation. Thanks!

Me (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

Fri, 12/22/2017 - 09:23 Permalink

I have been working partime for the first time able to. 2009 began recievibg my ssd I didn't take in account the 5 weeks in this month of December and I'm going over the 1170 by 150 bucks. I'm scared I did not mean for that to happen.

Bryan

In reply to by Me (not verified)

Tue, 12/26/2017 - 12:18 Permalink

Hi there,
Don't worry! You may not have a change it benefits, but it'd be a good idea to contact the SSA regarding this.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/21/2017 - 11:00 Permalink

How much can I make and receive SSI

Eric

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 03/21/2017 - 16:46 Permalink

Hello,

You can work and receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and other resources do not exceed the SSA’s income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.

Best Wishes,
Eric

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!